Monday, August 26, 2013

Living in Germany

"What's it like living in Germany?"
I can't tell you how many times I've been asked this question since my family and I moved here almost 6 months ago. I didn't think it was fair to give my opinion until I had the chance to actually experience it for a while. After living here for a few months now, I'm still hesitant to give an answer, but I do have one....kind of.
I'm not the biggest fan.
BUT!!!
Let's keep in mind that I have a very limited view. I haven't been able to travel much or experience all the great things that Germany has to offer. We live in a very small Army community, which is currently shutting down and lots of things aren't available to us anymore. So, there's that....along with the language barrier which can sometimes be very frustrating. I'm not saying that everyone should know English or something, because that wouldn't be fair. I just struggle with the language barrier and it can make simple things, like a trip to the grocery store, rather difficult.
I'm also not a fan of the driving here. I'm a nervous driver in general, and even though I have my German license, I am still terrified every time I have to drive somewhere. Drivers here seem very abrupt to me and it makes me uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just a wuss but, it is what it is.
There are a few other things that I don't like such as no A/C or ceiling fans, having to use bottled water, and the lack of elevators makes it difficult when you have a stroller and a baby that isn't able to walk. But now I just sound spoiled.
There are a few things that I really do love.
I love the scenery. Not necessarily where I live, but in places like Garmisch, the view is truly breathtaking.
Baby toys! Germany has some of the coolest baby/kids toys that I've ever seen. Not to mention their strollers. It's basically a bassinet on wheels. Neat-o!
"Downtown" Pretty much every place you go in Germany (that I've been to, at least) has a 'downtown' area with lots of shops and cafe's that you can just walk around for hours! When the weather is nice, it's perfect for family outings. You can go to and Eiscream shop and get these really elaborate (and delicious!) sundae's, go to a wine shop and taste all the wines and liquors, stop at a restaurant or 'brauhaus' and get a meal or a cheese platter, and go to all the other little shops along the way.  
I also love all the festivals that Germany has! There was one right across the street from where we live and we went to it almost every day that it was here. They have the best goodies and treats and also live bands and BEER, BEER and more BEER!

Hmm....maybe I like Germany a little more that I thought ;)

2 comments:

  1. When we were in Germany it was all "I hate this place" but now we wish we were there. Go do as much as you possibly can! Take one of the language classes on post they offer so you can learn the basics (like how to get a non-bubbly glass of water for example haha) and travel! Take the couples retreats...they are more than worth it. Go see the castles and go to all the volksfests and do German things. Then travel outside of Germany while it is cheap since you're already over there. If you make it a priority you won't regret it!!!

    ~Shawnna Masterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Volksfest was the festival I was talking about in here =] they had one RIGHT across the street! =] Unfortunately, they don't have any couples retreats anymore here. Sometimes it's just hard to be able to do and go and see everything with Dakota but we definitely wouldn't want to go anywhere without him!

    ReplyDelete